Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Making Time

---The bad news is, time flies. The good news is, you're the pilot. 
Michael Altshuler


I'm proud to announce that people are actually reading my blog. Even better, they are leaving comments! Yeah! I love all feedback, positive or not so keep it coming! I have, however, noticed a trend amongst my followers. It seems that what I am doing is inspiring to most but none of them seem to have the time to make a change.  I've gotten a lot of "Wow! I wish I had time to garden." or "I wish I had enough time to can veggies and hang clothes out on the line." Well my friends, I'll tell you this...you do.  You do have time. I'm not sure what people think I do all day but I'm pretty busy. The difference is, these changes I'm making are things I want to do. If you want to garden or sew or can, you have the time. The question is, do you want to have the time?

Would it be quicker to throw the clothes in the dryer? Sure. Can't I just buy canned veggies at the store? Of course. If that's how you want to live, that's your decision.  If you want to spend your time working to pay those electric bills for your dryer, or take the time to go to the gas station, fill up the Hummer and go hunting and gathering for consumer goods, you go right on ahead. I may be exaggerating a bit but it's a bit frustrating that some of my readers think this poor bored housewife must be trying to entertain herself by taking the time to things the old fashioned way, the "simple" way. Simple doesn't mean easy. It's actually quite a lot of hard work and is infinitely rewarding. 


If you want to go green and get simple, then stop making excuses. Turn off the TV, stay away from the mall, and get it done. I'm not perfect and you're not either but don't assume I'm just filling my time. I'm trying to make this a lifestyle. I'm making time. What's really important to you? If you sit down and figure it out, you may see that there is indeed time to hang your panties out to dry.





 

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I totally agree with it all. It's amazing how much time we can spend in front of the television and not realize that the day has been wasted away. I honestly think that if people stopped watching TV and stopped surfing the net mindlessly then we'd all have time to do all that you're doing and more. I'm not doing all that I can right now but its super easy to take small baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Stephanie! I just love your post. You have really made me start thinking I can do more! I have ordered me some books...Amazon loves us too! Keep these posts coming, girl!

    ReplyDelete