Monday, August 16, 2010

Peachy Keen

One of the best things about summer is the fruit. Never are strawberries sweeter, watermelons juicer,  or peaches plumper. During these sweltering months, I consider myself a "fruitarian" since most every meal includes some of nature's sweetest treats. Speaking of peaches, I happened to come across 20 pounds of summer beauties which I whisked home to be preserved for my snacking pleasure. We spent the better of the day blanching, peeling, smooshing and stirring and produced three peachy keen treats I can't wait to partake of.

The first was peach butter. I had planned on making peach jam but after reading a post over at Handmade Life, I decided peach butter sounded better (and easier too.) We blanched and peeled the peaches, chopped them up, added a little sugar and lemon juice and let them simmer for a couple of hours. I used my submersible blender to smooth it out more and really give that buttery texture. The result: sunny, yummy goodness. We all stood around the pot licking up leftovers. I cannot wait to try it on a piece of toast with my new found crunchy almond butter. Did you know they made crunchy almond butter? Heavenly....


Anyway, we also sliced enough peaches to fill up the dehydrator. Peach chips are one of my favorite snacks. I could eat a whole jar and I will if I'm not careful. I mix chopped peach chips with raisins and almonds for a quick snack mix for the kiddos. We've not had peach chips since we gobbled our last jar sometime around Christmas so I'm really looking forward to having a fresh batch. And my house smells SO good. If only I could capture the smell and put it an (eco-friendly) candle!

And finally, I used the stragglers to make a peach crisp, or as I like to call it, Lazy Girl Pie. After standing all day in the kitchen to make the butter and the chips, I didn't really feel like whipping out a pie crust. Crumbles are uncomplicated and so tasty. Yes, I realize I've posted a few recipes lately but it won't hurt you to look at another, will it?  This is sooo good and you can use virtually any fruit you have on hand. 

Ingredients


  • 4 to 5 pounds firm, ripe peaches (10 to 12 large peaches)
  • The zest of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 1/2 cups plus 2 to 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
  • 1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the inside of a 10 by 15 by 2 1/2-inch oval baking dish.
Immerse the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds, then place them in cold water. Peel the peaches and slice them into thick wedges and place them into a large bowl. Add the lemon zest, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of flour. Toss well. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. If there is a lot of liquid, add 1 more tablespoon of flour. Pour the peaches into the baking dish and gently smooth the top.

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, salt, oatmeal, and the cold, diced butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the butter is pea-sized and the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly on top of the peaches. Bake for 1 hour, until the top is browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator and reheat in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until warm.

I am stuffed full of peachy goodness. Every surface in my kitchen is covered in stickiness, my house smells like an orchard and I am satisfied. I'll be tasting summer long after the sun is gone. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds so good!
    Have you tried making your own almond butter to go with it? Here is how I do it:
    http://whichname.blogspot.com/2010/02/homemade-nut-butter.html
    Cheers, Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic, I will have to try this recipe. My family is addicted to Barney Butter almond butter. My kids think they are eating peanut butter and just love it. It is not gritty like most of the others. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete