Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Handy Work

Success! Hubby has installed our new computer and we are up and running. It's new, it's shiny and we got it on SALE. Hubs got all the pictures, music and documents off the old computer and transferred them to the new one without batting an eye. I, on the other hand, can barely turn the thing on...thank goodness for tech savvy spouses!

Today brings sunshine and warm breezes. We are supposed to hit 80 degrees here in the valley, even warmer tomorrow. The kids are in shorts and my clothesline has been full since 8 am. Desert springs are especially lovely and we are out and about every minute we can spare. Before long the mercury will shoot up and stay over 100 degrees and our outside time is spent lolling by the pool. But now, we are busy. We're gearing up for spring cleaning, planning yummy (meatless!) meals with new spring veggies and planting, staking, digging and just flat out playing in the dirt!

This flurry of activity, though welcome and enjoyed, is hard on the hands. I'm hard on my hands anyway, and am anti-glove. The change in the weather combined with all the washing and digging leaves my hands sore and dry and "old lady-ish." I promised a few posts back to share the recipe for a hand oil I've been using every night to keep my hands in good order. It's easy, it's natural and it feels indulgent. I keep it in a little dropper bottle on my nightstand and rub some in each night before I doze off. It's a combination of two recipes; one from Grow Your Own Drugs by James Wong and The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Worwood. The recipe is flexible, especially with the combination of essential oils. If you don't have something, don't sweat it. Here's the lowdown on how I make mine:

Luxurious Hand Oil
2 drops carrot oil
2 teaspoons avocado oil
10 drops jojoba oil
1 teaspoons evening primrose oil (I used the capsules....just poke holes in them and squeeze)
2 vitamin E capsules

Blend your oils well. Then add:

2 drops lemon essential oil
2 drops geranium essential oil
5 drops lavender or rose essential oil (true rose is VERY expensive. I used lavender)

Funnel your oil into a a tincture bottle (those little brown bottles with the dropper lids) and swirl to combine. Use a few drops when your hands need some lovin'...a little goes a long way.



And that's all !I get most of my essential oils from Rose Mountain Herbs. You can find their link on the right side of this page. As mentioned, I have a bottle next to my bed but I'm thinking I may mix some up to keep by the sink for a little post dish washing treat.  This oil would make a great gift too, maybe with some homemade bath bombs and a couple of crocheted shower scrubbies. Hmmmm.....crocheted shower scrubbies. I think I need to make some of those...off to find a pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment