Friday, May 14, 2010

The Big Black Box

I have a serious love/hate relationship with our TV. I do like TV. Well, some if it. There are a handful of shows I watch regularly, but the rest I could do without. The shows I really like I rent on DVD and just watch them without endless commercials bombarding me to buy things I don't need, and news teasers informing me of yet more bad things to come. I've made an effort to watch only what I really like and keep the set off the rest of the time. For me, this translates to Lost on Tuesdays, Ghost Hunters on Wednesdays, and yes, Family Guy on Sundays. Don't judge. It's funny. I've also allowed one movie a week since hubby and I like to spend either Friday or Saturday night cuddled up with the newest rental. I know. We're WILD. That's about 4 1/2 hours a week total tube time. Not bad considering Americans spend an average of 3 hours and 42 minutes A DAY in front of the television.

And though I may have my viewing habits under control, I think my kids are watching too much TV. According to Nielsen ratings company, children ages 2-5 are watching 32 HOURS of TV a week. What? My kids are nowhere near that number, thank goodness. They watch cartoons in the morning and the set goes off at 10 a.m. and doesn't come on again until after they are in bed, if at all. But lately, the Arizona sun has been warming up and threatening to scorch us alive if we stay outside too long. So... that puts us in the house, looking for things to do. That two hours of cartoons has morphed into movies at rest time and Dora while I cook dinner. After doing the math in my head, though not 32 hours, my kids viewing time adds up to more than I'd like.

We're not totally dependent on TV for entertainment. My kids and I keep a pretty busy schedule. We go to the gym, the library, play dates with my mom's group, gymnastics, and swimming lessons. We color, we bake, we read oodles of books. In the summer we play in the pool, the splash pad and run through the sprinklers. But if there is no parent directed activity provided, my kids want to watch TV. And after doing said activities, plus cooking, cleaning, laundry and all other home related tasks, I'm out of ideas and exhausted. It is ridiculously easy to turn on the Wonder Pets and let all be calm for half an hour. But when your kids pretend to be watching TV during playtime, you know it's time to cut back.

I am the one at fault here. I'm the one who controls the remote. I want my kids to be curious, engaged, creative and independent. TV fosters none of those things. I want them to appreciate the world around them by exploring it and taking part in it.Granted, children's programming has come a long way,  but I'd rather they learn from the world around them than from talking characters on TV. I want them to appreciate the things that matter like family, community and simplicity. I am the one who must take control.  

 And so I will. Here's the plan:
  • The kiddos can watch whatever they want in the mornings. Disney Channel, Nick Junior, a DVD. But the set goes off at 10:00 am. NO EXCEPTIONS. 
  • The TV will not be turned on again until after they are in bed, if at all. 
  • One night a week, we may have a family movie night. Popcorn optional, pajamas a must. 
  • No more Dora with dinner. This will be painful for Mommy but her children will be happier, healthier, and more independent without Little Miss Explorer.
  • I will try my hardest to provide fun activities every day. But, I will also encourage my children to learn how to play by themselves and with each other. Mommy can't do everything and be everywhere. 
Oy. Wish me luck. I think this is going to be harder for me than it will for them. If you have any TV free suggestions please leave them in the comments. I'm going to need all the ideas I can get!

 

4 comments:

  1. Why start the day with it? Go cold Turkey. See if you can live without it for one week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember your kids ages but I LOVED being able to "play house" with my sisters. We would ride our bikes outside and I'd pretend like I was working at taco bell and taking their orders. Or I'd pretend like I was gardening and stuff. I don't know if your children are old enough to ride bikes like that but it was a blast for me! Making them create play is probably best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know our house, no tv, like not a television in the house. :) Food, Inc. - drawing on Omnivore's Dilemma, got it from Netflix! Made me think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I'm visiting from Down To Earth. I've enjoyed reading your dedication to relearning the art of home making.
    One suggestion during dinner making preparations would be to get your children involved. My 3 year old loves helping me wash potatoes and peel carrots. My 6 year old loves taking the scissors out into the yard and identifying and cutting the herbs I have requested for dinner. Likewise my 5 year old delights in setting the table, even wiping it down! There are jobs for all ages and kids really do love being involved. I wish you all the best in reducing their telly time!

    ReplyDelete