Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Product Alert

Deciding to live green and sustainably can be tough at times. And expensive. Though much can be made by hand, it's always nice to have some ready made products that you can trust. And that's why I'm going to start a monthly "Product Alert." Each month, I will post about a "green" product that I simply cannot live without (OK. I can live without it. But I don't want to.) I am in no way affiliated with the companies I post about. This is meant solely to help guide you through a barrage of products and give you some suggestions if you need help. That being said, this month's green product is Vapour Organic Cosmetics.

I have converted the majority of my personal care products to those of a non-chemical nature, but there are a few stragglers that I can't seem to find an appropriate alternative for. Among them are foundation, blush, and lip gloss. I have my most favorite chemical laden brands and all the green alternatives I have tried thus far have left much to be desired. The foundation never covered what I needed it to, the blush, a big powdery mess and the lip glosses were sticky, smelly, and short lived.

I stumbled across Vapour Cosmetics purely by accident. I was about to run out of foundation and, taking the opportunity to try a new product, I set about searching for an organic alternative. I had looked in my natural health food stores and done a million on line searches but could find nothing that I hadn't already tried. But for some reason or other, when I typed "organic foundation" into the search box, a new listing came up. And that listing was for Vapour Cosmetics.

Vapour started 30 years in my home state of New Mexico. According to the website, they pushed the limits of green chemistry by pioneering healthy non-toxic cosmetics for other companies. After years of developing and manufacturing products for other brands, Vapour decided to start it's own line. After pairing up with Eric Sakas, who worked alongside legendary makeup artist Kevyn Aucoin, Vapour launched a gorgeously performing line of products, free of toxic ingredients.


Sounds good, right? I ordered the Atmosphere Luminous Foundation and the Aura Multi-Use Blush. I was weary to order a foundation stick. I'd gone the stick make-up route before and the resulting coverage was cakey and clown-like. Atmosphere is different. So different. It glides on like silk, covers EVERYTHING and blends seamlessly. It feels like I'm wearing nothing at all! The blush is the same. I put it on my cheeks, my lips, my eyes....it's smooth, pretty and natural. And the very best part? There is absolutely NO toxic ickiness in any of their products. NONE. You could eat them (thought I wouldn't recommend it) and if it's good enough for my stomach, it's certainly good enough for my face. At long last, I found it. Make-up that performs AND has a conscious. Brilliant! I will definitely be trying more from their line!

Have you tried Vapour? What green brands of cosmetics do you use? Or any recipes for make your own?


No comments:

Post a Comment