Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fishing for the Wookie

A few things I noted while taking a shower this morning:

a) My razor wouldn't cut butter. Why am wasting my time trying to shave when my legs feel almost as furry as they did before I shaved them?

b) I still do not understand why my huband refuses to use that last sliver of soap. We have a collection of slivers that I've mashed into a free form soap blob that he claims is "gross." I say it's frugal.

c) Standing ankle deep in your own dirty water means something is seriously wrong with my plumbing. Time to go fishing for the wookie.

The phrase "fishing for the wookie" was coined by my father in law. My husband comes from a large family with two brothers and a sister. Said sister had long, thick, gorgeous hair that frequently clogged the shower she shared with her brothers. When things weren't draining as they should, my father in law would roll up his sleeves, grab a coat hanger and a bottle of Draino and go "fishing for the wookie," the wookie being a blackened, soapy, greasy ball of his daughter's hair. I suppose whatever he managed to dig from the drain resembled Hans Solo's famed companion, Chewbacca, thus the strange yet appropriate moniker.


Giving a whimsical name to a disgusting chore doesn't make me want to do it. I've been trying to ignore the fact that our shower isn't draining but this morning's back up was a little ridiculous. And though I'm hoping to avoid the coat hanger, I sure as heck won't be using Draino if I can help it. It's toxic, it's dangerous and it's expensive. There are a variety of DIY green drain cleaner recipes but I decided on good 'ol baking soda and vinegar. Apparently the bubbly action will soften and dislodge whatever nastiness is lurking in your drain.

Pour, pour, bubble, bubble, test....nothing. Then I tried baking soda and boiling water. Pour, pour, burn myself, cuss, test...better, but still not draining. I am trying desperately not to resort to chemicals but my green cleaning efforts have failed. I don't want to go fishing for the wookie....help me help myself! Leave me a comment and tell me about the clog cleaning concoctions you have used.

(This post is linked to the Green Resource. Check it out every Thursday for great green solutions!)
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. I use a small drain snake. It is black with velcro on the end. Stuff sticks to it like magic. My culprit was a little army man and a razor blade with tons of hair stuck to it. I bought them online for less than $10 for 2 and they're reusable. That is if you want to pick the gunk off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, well this is not my specialty in our house, my boyfriend is the one who takes care of the plumbing issues, but this is what he does: baking soda, vinegar, boiling water, then after it has sat for a while run the water super hot and plunge the drain with a plunger, which will suck up any gunk. If that still doesn't loosen it, then he takes the garden hose to the drain an BLASTS the water down the drain until the plug is loosened. Works like a charm! The absolute last resort in our household is a teeny bit of drano, but that is rare.

    Good luck!

    Brenna

    consciousearthveg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no plumbing suggestions but laughter's got to help, right? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such informative blog about Fishing for the Wookie, it really helpful in my plumber london business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your time reading, do not give up the chance to even know, know no loss to you!Time to go fishing for the wookie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article! I love how you go in depth and give real information that is useful... keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you need air conditioning service, we provide it. At Heating and Air Conditioning Baltimore we do our best fix and repair your air conditioner, rather than trying to sell you a new air conditioner, like many air conditioning contractors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ac repair 77096 understands that there are several factors that effects the design of the air conditioning system – windows, attic, insulation levels, etc. our air conditioning systems are properly designed and sized to provide maximum comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great experience. You shared a part when you posted this. Thanks! AC Service ,North Houston

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing such unique information which are in actual fact as well as helpful for everyone. Furnace Repair Kenosha WI is one of my business, it provide one of the best AC services.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Extremely interesting post.Thanks for provide this kind of interesting stuff. I like your post, keep posting. Air Conditioning Repair Katy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Useful information shared. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Furnace Repair Glenwood

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting post and thanks for sharing. Some things in here I have not thought about before. Air Conditioning Repair Pembroke

    ReplyDelete
  14. We provide an exclusive range of Magnetic Crack Detector which is used for non-destructive testing of iron and steel parts. This specific product helps in locating all defects and the cracks as they can be magnetized.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing such a useful information, I will be checking your blog for further information and updates.Provillus For Men | Provillus For Women | Provillus

    ReplyDelete
  16. Extremely interesting post.Thanks for provide this kind of interesting stuff. Air Conditioning Repair Bonita Springs

    ReplyDelete