Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Doubles

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. School is starting (my son started pre K this morning!) and with that comes the end of my long, leisurely mornings where I had all the time in the world to make breakfast for my children. My daughter starts first grade this year and will be in school from 7:45 until 4:15. Not only I am responsible for packing a healthy, nourishing lunch and two snacks each day, I have to make sure she has a hearty breakfast to provide her with the energy and nutrients her little brain will need to concentrate in the classroom.
J's first day of preschool
Being the huge fan of sleep that I am, I don't forsee myself getting up early and preparing a morning feast. I have to get up early enough thankyouverymuch! To make sure my poor kids aren't eating cold cereal every day (even though they'd probably like that!) I have been doubling my recipes and freezing the extras for busy school mornings. Making sure my kids have a good, real food breakfast, along with eating momma made lunches and snacks, makes me feel a little better about the onslaught of the not so good for them snacks that may get doled out at school.

So far, my breakfast freezer arsenal contains:
  • whole wheat waffles-served with peanut butter, real maple syrup, or summer solstice jam that didn't set and therefore is being used as syrup :)
  • whole wheat banana pancakes-served with same as above
  • whole wheat banana chocolate chip muffins-served with fruit and almond milk yogurt
  • carrot and zucchini mufffins-served with same as above
  • bacon-cook it, cool it, wrap it in wax paper and done! Served with eggs and toast.
That's a LOT of waffles Momma!
Building your own breakfast arsenal isn't that hard. Double EVERYTHING! It is much less expensive than buying packaged breakfast foods, and it cuts back on waste as well. You control the ingredients. And most importantly, you might even get a few extra minutes of sleep!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I really love this idea. Our son is gluten free and we want to avoid cholesterol problems (he'd eat eggs every day!)...so, a freezer full of homemade gf waffles to pop in the toaster, alternated with muffins and fruit...great!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I do too! Whenever I make waffles I make at least a double batch. That way the kids can just pop one in the toaster on days I'm not in the mood to cook.

    ReplyDelete