Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kiwis!

Yes, another canning post. It's that time of year though so bear with me...

I was flipping though my Mom's canning books a couple weekends ago when I came across a recipe for kiwi jam. I have never in my life seen a jar of kiwi jam and I knew then that I would just have to try it. Kiwis are such a funny little fruit. Their hairy roundness gives way to a tender green flesh that tastes a little like strawberries, and a little like, well, something else. They are absolutely scrumptious. Some interesting facts about kiwis:

  • Kiwis have only been called kiwis since the 1950's. Before then they were known as Macaque Peaches, Vine Pears, Chinese Gooseberries and my personal favorite, Hairy Bush Fruit. 
  • Many consider the kiwi to be an Australian fruit but actually, it is native to Southern China. Italy is now the biggest cultivator of kiwis.
  • The hairy outer skin of kiwi is actually edible. Why anyone would want to eat it is beyond me, but there ya go...
  • Much like humans, only the female kiwi plant can bear fruit. Girl power!
I peeled, I chopped and I jammed. The set of the jam is quite soft but I'm thinking it will set  up in a couple of days. I know apricot and grape jams can take up to a week for a proper set. The jam is the most delightful green color and is speckled with little black seeds. My daughter has taken to calling it the "green polka dot" jam. Whatever you call it, it's refreshingly different. It's sweet with just a hint of tart. I'm thinking it will be paired perfectly with almond butter and a sturdy piece of whole grain toast. Or our straight out of the jar with a spoon, whichever you prefer!

Kiwi Jam

3 cups chopped kiwi
2 cups sugar
2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
1 box powdered pectin

Add kiwi, pineapple juice and pectin to a large stockpot and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil again and boil for exactly one minute. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars and process for 11 minutes in a water bath canner.
 
Makes about 6 half pints.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy Shephanie. I will be trying this one. Kiwi's are so cheap here in South Fl that I would be wrong not to do this.

    ReplyDelete